Atoka is located in the middle of everything, including the NAFTA corridor.
There are 80 million people within a 500 mile radius of Atoka.
- There are approximately 14,300 residents in Atoka County, of which 2,988 live in the City of Atoka.
- There are 69,700 people within a thirty mile radius of Atoka.
- There are approximately 174,600 persons within a fifty mile radius of Atoka.
- The Median Household Income of Atoka is $25,142.
- The Per Capita Personal Income of Atoka is $17,953.
- The Median Age of the population in Atoka is 38.3.
- Seventy (70) percent of the population is a High School graduate.
- Ten (10) percent of the population has a Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau
- There are seven elementary schools and four fully accredited high schools in Atoka County.
- The Kiamichi Technology Center has a campus in Atoka. The Center offers specific job-training for its students and will train employees for local industries under the TIPS program at no charge.
- Murray State, a two year college, is located 40 miles west of Atoka in Tishomingo, Oklahoma.
- Southeastern Oklahoma State University, offering bachelor’s and graduate degrees, is located 30 miles to the south in Durant, Oklahoma.
- East Central State University, offering bachelor’s and graduate degrees, is located 50 miles to the west, in Ada, Oklahoma.
- The City of Atoka is located on US Hwy 69/75 and State Highways 3 and 7 intersect in the City.
- US Hwy 69/75 is one of the nation’s leading highways for interstate transportation of goods. Hwy 69/75 is the shortest distance from Mexico, Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth to St. Louis, Mo., the major east/west terminal in the US.
- Three motor freight companies have terminals located in Atoka and ten other freight companies serve the area on an as-needed basis.
- UPS, Fed-Ex, and DHL all serve the Atoka area.
- The Atoka Municipal Airport is located two and one half miles from the Park. The airport runway is 2,680 feet.
- The Dallas/Ft.Worth International Airport is located 150 miles south of Atoka.
- The Will Rogers World Airport is located in Oklahoma City, 130 miles north of Atoka.
- The City of Atoka has a fire insurance rating of Class 6 and is in the process of moving to a Class 5 rating.
- The property tax rate for Atoka County is $75.17 per $1000.00 of assessed value. The fractional assessment rate for personal property is 10% and for real property is 12%.
- The combined sales tax rate for the City of Atoka is eight and one-half cents ($0.085) per dollar.
- The City of Atoka has no environmental regulations except those required by the State of Oklahoma. The State of Oklahoma’s environmental regulations follow the Federal Guidelines.
Oklahoma is now a "Right to Work" state, which allows workers to seek or keep employment regardless of union membership requirements.
- The adult labor force for Atoka County is approximately 5440.
- According to the latest data available, the adult labor force for Atoka and Coal Counties (adjacent to Atoka County) is approximately 7520.
- The latest unemployment rate for Atoka County is 5.2%.
- The combined unemployment rate for Atoka and Coal Counties is 5.8%.
- The adult labor force within a thirty mile radius of Atoka is 31,500 with an average unemployment rate of 4.9%.
- The adult labor force within a fifty mile radius of Atoka is 79,970 with an average unemployment rate of 5.0%.
- Twenty-three (23) % of the labor force in the area commutes at least twenty-one (21) miles or more.
- Sixty-two (62) % of the labor force in the area is willing to commute twenty-one (21) miles or more to work.
- Eleven (11) % of the area’s workforce is underemployed.
- Thirty-six (36) % of the area’s workforce has Bachelor’s Degrees or higher.
- Oklahoma is now a “Right to Work” state, which allows workers to seek or keep employment regardless of union membership requirements.
Source: Oklahoma Employment Security Commission and the Oklahoma Department of Commerce